It's That Time of Year! Designate Your Taxes

Be sure to share your voice as a Catholic School supporter when you designate your taxes on your annual property assessment notice and tax bill.

To ensure your property taxes are supporting your Catholic separate school, you must declare your school support as “separate” on your annual property assessment notice and tax bill. If a declaration of school support is not filed by a property owner, the property assessment and tax bills will show the school support going to the public school district by default.

For more information on designating your property taxes, review the Alberta Catholic School Trustees’ Association brochure. We appreciate and thank you for your support of our schools.

Posted: June 12, 2017

Leave A Comment

Kevin Malinowski said on June 16, 2017

It is my understanding that this no longer matters. The provincial government does not distribute taxes based on who I designate, but now on enrollment.

Is this correct?

Fiona Smythe Wilson said on June 24, 2017

That's not how school board taxes are allocated. It's by student enrollment.

Carol Bruineman said on June 26, 2017

That's correct, districts are funded based on enrolment. At the same time, all taxpayers have the ability to show their "support" for Catholic Separate Schools by indicating this on their tax bills annually. Some organizations do reference this data. As a Catholic jurisdiction we remind families with children in our schools of this opportunity given that the default is a declaration of "support" for the Public School system.