Information on Bill 1
Bill 1, An Act to Reduce School Fees has been proclaimed, reducing the burden of school fees on Alberta families.
By amending the School Act and introducing two regulations—the School Fees and Costs Regulation and the School Transportation Regulation —specific school fees will be eliminated, starting in the 2017-2018 school year. In addition, the Board has updated Policy 2, Section 6, to reflect the requirements of Bill 1. Two Administrative Procedures (AP), AP502 - Instructional Fees, Refunds, and Waivers and AP521 - Administration of School Generated Funds, along with the Principles for the Basis of Allocations to Schools deal, with school fees more specifically.
What Fees are Being Eliminated?
Starting in the 2017-2018 school year, the following fees are being eliminated:
- textbook fees;
- workbook fees;
- printing and photocopying fees;
- paper fees;
- fees not included in an approved school fee schedule
- fees for transportation for those residing 2.4 km or more (based on District Routing Software) from their designated school (as determined by attendance boundaries or as directed by Administration);
- those who qualify and are approved for special needs transportation, regardless of distance to their designated school;
- additional fees for noon-hour transportation for children attending an Early Childhood Services program.
Questions about Bill 1?
Visit the Government of Alberta website to learn more.