If health officials confirm a case of COVID-19 in a school community, Alberta Health Services will take the following steps:
- The zone medical officer of health will work with school authorities to quickly:
- identify cases
- identify close contacts
- create isolation measures when needed
- provide follow-up recommendations
- A COVID-19 case will not automatically lead to school closure—it could be that only the group of students and staff who came in close contact will be required to stay home for 14 days.
- Parents/legal guardians will be notified if a case of COVID-19 is confirmed at school and public health officials will contact those who were in close contact with the person.
- Each school authority will support students and staff to learn or work at home if they are required to self-isolate.