At Greater St Albert Catholic Schools, we offer Work Experience, Career Internship Programs and RAP (Registered Apprenticeship Program). We work with the community and Careers to facilitate opportunities for students to gain valuable work experience while earning high school credits.
The Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP) allows you, the student, to be enrolled in high school and work as a paid apprentice. The program is designed to enable students to simultaneously complete high school and 1000 hours towards the 1500 required hours for the first-year apprenticeship in a designated Trade.
What are the trades in Alberta, and do I need to be certified to participate?
There are 49 trades in Alberta.
Who do I see about RAP in my school?
RAP is a program that is coordinated by the following people at each high school:
- SACHS - Daniel Veraart or email: email@example.com
- SACHS - Teresa Rieger or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MCHS - Kent Lessard or e-mail: email@example.com
- St Gabriel Academic Centre - Monique Webb or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
What do I have to do to become a RAP student?
1. Pick a Trade (there are over 50 to choose from).
2. Find an employer
3. Complete the paperwork and the HCS 3000 Workplace Safety Systems Course, have a good attendance record, be enrolled and pass the prerequisite high school courses for your chosen trade, and be in line to graduate.
4. Start working and earning money! RAP is flexible, meaning you can work part-time, half days or full days, in the summer or sometimes even after you graduate. We will work with your employer to set a work schedule that compliments your high school graduation requirements and the requirements for your Trade. You can earn up to 40 high school credits through the RAP program.
After graduating high school and completing your first period hours (about 1500), the next step is to do the technical training or schooling component of your apprenticeship. About 80% of your time will be spent working on the job, and the other 20% will be in the classroom. You will continue performing the required hours and completing the technical training periods in your Trade to become a certified journeyperson.
Beginning your apprenticeship in high school will get you a head start on an exciting career choice in the Trades.