We are excited to launch the Catholic Cogito Academy during the 2023/24 school year at Albert Lacombe Catholic Elementary School. For the 2023/24 school year, the Cogito program will accept students in Kindergarten and Grade 1.
Cogito is a program that offers traditional teaching strategies to achieve the Alberta Education program of studies. This is a method of delivery that appeals to families who value structure, repetition and teacher-directed learning.
Registration will open on January 19th. Visit our registration page for more information on how to register.
What are the goals and benefits of Cogito?
• Develop academic skills to achieve excellent results
• Demonstrate diligence and self-discipline
• Emphasis on reading and writing skills
• Emphasis on math and critical-thinking skills
• Improved work ethic, study habits and organizational skills
• Preparation for a wide range of future academic, professional and skilled employment
Can you explain the program delivery?
• Teacher-led, whole group instruction that focuses on students learning and progressing through the curriculum together
• Structured classroom environment
• Regular homework
• Recitation, memorization and practice exercises to improve learning
• Early reading instruction in phonics--understanding letters, sounds and syllables
• Second language instruction introduced in Grade 1
• Additional opportunities to study core subjects in-depth
• Uniforms or a dress code requirement
• A high level of parental support and commitment
The Kindergarten program will include half-day instruction.
What are the fees for Cogito?
There are no additional program fees for Cogito. The program does have some student attire requirements, which are at the expense of the family.
Who is this program for?
Cogito programming is designed for students willing to work to achieve high academic excellence in an environment that emphasizes structure and order. This program appeals to dedicated students who learn well through rote delivery of course material and value consistency. Students experience direct instruction and participate in daily homework.
There is an emphasis on memorization and automaticity of skills as a precursor to mastery and application. There is no academic entrance requirement for this program, and all families who feel this is a good fit for their child(ren) are welcome to register; however, there is an expectation that parents/legal guardians meet with the school administration before being accepted into the program.
This is not a program designed for gifted students.