Achieving potential through active learning
Greater St. Albert Catholic Schools' Pre-Kindergarten (Pre-K) program offers learning opportunities in all areas of development. Our programs are instructed by teachers, who assist children of all abilities to become confident learners.
Further learning supports may include:
- Speech and Language Pathologists
- Speech-Language Assistants
- Occupational Therapists
- Behaviour Consultants
- Educational Assistants
Your child will gain skills through play, inquiry, creativity, problem-solving, and social interaction, as well as early literacy, language, and numeracy activities.
Email our Early Learning Consultant, or call 780-459-7711, ext. 114.
Pre-Kindergarten Inquiry Form (All Children)
All children - PUF and Independent Learners
GSACRD offers a variety of pre-kindergarten programs, and all early learners are welcome!
• Supported Learners - Alberta Education provides Program Unit Funding (PUF) for children between 2.8 and 4.8 years of age who have been identified as needing early learning intervention (born in 2020 or 2019). Information shared on this form will help to determine if your child will qualify for funding. Our screening dates will begin in February 2023.
• Independent Learners - Children born in 2019 who are in their year before Kindergarten are welcome to join our schools. Please be advised that the school enrolment numbers will determine whether a morning or afternoon class will be offered. Fees of $150.00 per month apply.
Once you have completed this form, the Early Learning Coordinator will contact you to learn more about your child.
If you have any questions about our pre-kindergarten programs, don't hesitate to contact our Early Learning Office at 780-459-7711 ext. 114 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is Early Childhood Education for you?
Are you concerned about your child's early learning development? Tracking your child's language milestones is a great way to determine if they may need assessment and get the extra head start before Kindergarten!
What to expect?
By 2 years your child should…
• Use 2 words together like More juice or Mommy eat.
• Say at least 50 words.
• Start using simple word endings like "ing" (eating), plurals (boats), and possessives
• Understand 2-part sentences like "Go get your coat and bring it to me".
By 2½ years your child should…
• Use words that name objects (ball, shoe), describe (big, hot), and talk about actions (kick, eat).
• Point to many body parts and clothes and point to pictures in a book.
By 3 years your child should…
• Use at least 3 to 4 words together in sentences or questions.
• Use more of the little words, like is, a, or the.
• Follow 3-part directions, like Go get your coat, bring it to me and wait by the door.
By 4 years your child should…
• Use sentences that are longer and more complete, like I want to go out and play on the swing.
• Use more grammar, like plurals (boats), possessives (daddy’s hat), pronouns (I,
you, me, she, he, we), past tense (walked), and some question words (what, who, where, why). There are still some errors.
• Understand most concept words (colour, shapes, locations, texture, time).
• Speak clearly. Parents and others understand your child all of the time.
When to get help? You should be concerned if your child…
• Does not use 2 words together or does not do all of the other things listed at
• Is not saying many different sounds.
• Avoids eye contact and appears to ignore others.
• Had some words but has “forgotten” them.
• Is not saying or understanding what is expected for his age.
• Is not using many different words or sentences.
• Is not interacting with you or other children.
• Is not easily understood when talking or gets frustrated.
Resources collected by Talk box : a parent's guide to creating language rich environments. Learn More Today!
Pre-K 2022-23 Instructional Calendar
Is my child eligible to attend Pre-K?
Schools offering Pre-K programs
Schools offering Pre-K programs
Albert Lacombe - Independent Learners
Bertha Kennedy - PUF and Independent Learners
École Marie Poburan - Tree House Playschool (contact Tree House directly for details)
Holy Family Catholic School - PUF and Independent Learners
J.J. Nearing Catholic Elementary School - Independent Learners
Neil M. Ross - Tree House Playschool (contact Tree House directly for details)
Sister Alphonse Academy - Independent Learners
École Notre Dame Elementary School - English Independent Learners (with a gentle introduction to French Immersion)
St. Kateri Tekakwitha Academy - PUF and Independent Learners
Legal School - PUF and Independent Learners